Friday, May 11, 2007

A Mama's Love

My child you are a soul
A soul all your own
I thought you were mine for a long, long time
And then you began to grow

I found you had talents all your own
Different favorite colors and foods
Different ways you dance and speak
Interests I never heard of
Patience I could not conceive
That you have for me

It never occurred to me
That it is you teaching me
As I teach you forward
You bring me back

Back to simple, basic love
Back to grilled cheese sandwiches
And a renewed appreciation for peanut butter
You reminded me how good vanilla ice cream is
And that I could eat it and chase you for hours and never feel stuffed
Yet I am always satisfied

My sweet love, my child, my heart
You expanded all that I know
I live my childhood again with you, in a way I remember the best of me
Your heart loving me, when I am not so sure about how things are in the world
And I know the world has a great chance
Just because I know you, and you are part of our world

I give to you, my child, my heart
I give to you my love
My love that I could never give enough of
My love that understands it's existence with you
My love that taught me eternal love
My soul that wants to preserve your love of self, of me

Without compromising your love of learning,
Your self esteem
Your confidence
I thank God for the wisdom to know this while I have you, while you can here
Knowing the words of my love live forever in your heart
I trust life to know that love can only breed more love

My child, my heart
We are all children
As I am a child too
I understand what I yearned for
And I give to you the yearnings of support
And I live in your growth
May you live in mine
With the understanding we are on the same side
The side of life and love
May we join each other in our souls as we have joined in our journey's
Love, Mama

No comments: