Friday, August 17, 2007

Britney Broke Her Paris and Lohan is Just Richie

We should no longer be allowed to report on Britney Spears
Paris Hilton

Nicole Richie
Lindsay Lohan
Even me who was a listener to their attentions and the woes
Once I would hear them speak
My interest is lost
It is weird to know so much about someone
That you listen to their every move

And I realized it isn't their every move I am listening to
I am listening to what is on the news, everywhere
Talk about no choices
You can't turn on the TV without one of them currently in rehab
Getting a ticket
Driving the wrong way
Or in jail for an accumulation of events
A nightclub they may have been too young to go to
And by 21 they appear to be much older than they are

We say it is money or fame
It is simply someone to talk about that is not us
That we can put attention to that is not us
That we can use as an example one way or the other and it is still weirder than us

These people made their way by showing up, dressing up and needing attention
And then complaining about the attention they asked for and don't know who they are without it
And we don't know if we love them or don't
Respect them or not
Care for them or not
We just know them

We hear everything about their every move
Imagine that enjoyment on your part
No privacy even when you seek it
You can't sleep in your car with your mouth open one day and wake up to the world in glitter the next
And we are amazed at the drama
So it replaces our own

WE need them in many ways
So that we don't need ourselves so much
Something to watch
Over and over again

Today I woke up hearing of restraining orders from mother to daughter or each others child
something in me changed this morning
I felt bad that we are fed this
Watching people live as they destroy themselves
And this is who we give credence to

When I hear them speak I am never impressed
And more interested in their love for the attention
It is not even beauty anymore
It is what is simply something to do
And I do not want to do it anymore

There is more to life than living in the world of appearances and furor
It seems like a joke that we do this, however I am sure we find greater things to hear if those things were allowed time on media
We have a need for release
It is medication
and Media
Drugs and Alcohol
That is the crazy thing
We all escape and their escapism is that is most interesting to us
For then we don't have to fess up to our own

No comments: